Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

February 15, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

February 15, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Psalm 136
1 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.
3 O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever.
4 To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever.
5 To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever.
6 To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy endureth for ever.
7 To him that made great lights: for his mercy endureth for ever:
8 The sun to rule by day: for his mercy endureth for ever:
9 The moon and stars to rule by night: for his mercy endureth for ever.
10 To him that smote Egypt in their firstborn: for his mercy endureth for ever:
11 And brought out Israel from among them: for his mercy endureth for ever:
12 With a strong hand, and with a stretched out arm: for his mercy endureth for ever.
13 To him which divided the Red sea into parts: for his mercy endureth for ever:
14 And made Israel to pass through the midst of it: for his mercy endureth for ever:
15 But overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red sea: for his mercy endureth for ever.
16 To him which led his people through the wilderness: for his mercy endureth for ever.
17 To him which smote great kings: for his mercy endureth for ever:
18 And slew famous kings: for his mercy endureth for ever:
19 Sihon king of the Amorites: for his mercy endureth for ever:
20 And Og the king of Bashan: for his mercy endureth for ever:
21 And gave their land for an heritage: for his mercy endureth for ever:
22 Even an heritage unto Israel his servant: for his mercy endureth for ever.
23 Who remembered us in our low estate: for his mercy endureth for ever:
24 And hath redeemed us from our enemies: for his mercy endureth for ever.
25 Who giveth food to all flesh: for his mercy endureth for ever.
26 O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy endureth for ever.

First I want to start out by mentioning the different words used in the different translations. Many of us know the song taken from the NIV translation and it says that His LOVE endures forever. Here with the KJV it talks about MERCY instead of love. I'm not entirely sure which word was the more accurate translation. Either word fits quite well with all the verses there. I think mercy is a good word to describe how well God treats us though and I use the KJV for these discussions so we'll stick with that word.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mercy
Mercy:
    1. Compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's power; clemency.
    2. A disposition to be kind and forgiving: a heart full of mercy.
    3. Something for which to be thankful; a blessing: It was a mercy that no one was hurt.
    4. Alleviation of distress; relief:

Mercy that lasts FOREVER... I think we all know what forever means. God's mercy for us never runs out. Isn't that amazing? That line about his mercy enduring forever is repeated over and over and over... why? Well, for one thing it is a song. You hear lines repeated like that in songs all the time. Why else? Maybe because it's important? The main point of the whole chapter...
Let's put that line aside for a moment while we look at the rest of the passage.
All that comes before that line each time is like a short story about creation and about the Israelites. It lists a few things that God did that was SO amazing... How loving and how merciful He really is towards us. A lot of work was put into the creation of this earth... and just look at how well He took care of the Israelites. He rescued them from slavery... parted the sea before them... led them to the promised land etc... And this is just a small bit of what God has done... He has shown love and mercy upon so many others.

Now, if you want to REALLY personalize this song, this passage, I think it would be fun to go through and change a few verses. Let us take some time to be thankful for what He has done for us. List some of the ways He has shown you love and mercy. It shouldn't take long to come up with quite a few good things to fill that song in with.
We can borrow verses 23 through 25. He sure remembers us in our low estate and saves us from our enemies. And I think most of us reading this have food to eat. We have quite a lot to be thankful for if we think about it.

The very first verse really sums up the entire passage.
O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

But we certainly couldn't leave it at that. If we just said to ourselves "God is good, let us give thanks" then what would we thank Him for? And, how often would we actually take the time to think about just how good He is and actually thank Him for it?
God is good indeed, and His mercies endure forever.
Let us praise Him and thank Him and remember just how much He does for us.
And for anyone out there that is suffering and in despair right now and has a hard time seeing God's mercy... I want you to remember those Israelites. God did some awesome stuff for them did He not? But there were times when their trials in life were about as difficult as anyone could imagine. He will have Mercy on you. He does love you. So if you are hurting right now, I still urge you to take this time to really praise Him and thank Him for all that He has done in the past and all that He is still doing for you even now.
God is good my friends and His love and His mercy for YOU endureth forever.

Father God, I thank you for all that you have done for us. You have shown me so much mercy Lord, even though I don't always deserve it. And even when times get tough, you are still there loving me just waiting to rescue me. I pray that I will never lose sight of that. I pray I will always remember just how much you have done for me. Thank you for being so merciful.
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”