February 1, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
Mr. Normal

February 1, 2009

Post by millipede » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Psalm 77:1
1 I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me.

Matthew 6:6
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Do you prefer to pray out loud? Or do you like to pray silently?
This week's topic will be a bit short.

There are different ways to pray. Is there a right way and a wrong way? I don't believe anyone can say that there is one particular way that is THE way that should be done all the time. I personally think it is okay to pray silently or out loud.
I was reading Psalm 77 and that first line just jumped right out at me. There's good reason for that. Not long ago I hit pretty much the lowest point in my life. At that time I cried out to God, out loud. I really called out to Him. That's not something I could have done silently. Crying out to God was something I had wanted to do for a long time... but I am a reserved man and I just felt uncomfortable doing so. So, I spent most of my life keeping my prayers up in my head.
Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with communicating with God up in your head. I mean, we do believe that God is all knowing... He knows what is in my heart or in my mind... and it's okay for me to talk with Him in that manner. It may even be good for me in that I can talk with Him anywhere I am at any time. It's quite convenient.

Anyway... at this time when I hit the lowest point in my life and I finally cried out to God I got to thinking about it and how I felt afterward. Man, it was a different feeling. As I was thinking my thoughts were of my struggles and I like to compare things, so I compared my situation with different situations.
If you were going through a trying time and REALLY needed to talk to your best friend, and your best friend lived next door... would you call them on the phone? ask them to come over? or go over there to see them? Or, would you pull out your cell phone and send text messages? The conversations you'd have would be quite different if you sent a text message than they'd be if you were face to face with your best friend.
This is just how I saw my conversations with God. There are times those simple text messages up in my head are good enough. There are other times when I NEED to see Him face to face and hear His voice, and He needs to hear my voice as well.
I hope all that made sense.

As far as the verses go... I just loved the first one.
I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me.
I cried out to God with my voice and He HEARD ME... just awesome...

The next verse I found on a discussion board and it was being used to say praying quietly is okay. The point of that verse is that everyone around doesn't need to hear all your prayers. But, notice it says to go into your closet. Why would you need to go into your closet if you were praying silently? Personally I believe that many people prayed out loud in those days and if they went into their closet, they still prayed out loud.

Anyway, I'm not going to say that you have to pray out loud. And I especially don't want to imply that you need to pray publicly. Many people feel uncomfortable about praying in front of others and that is okay... (as long as it isn't because you're ashamed of your faith)

But while you're home alone or in a quiet place, I would like to encourage you all to spend some time in open verbal communication with our Lord. You will not be disappointed in the conversation, I promise you that. :)

Father God I thank you for this day. I thank you for the many luxuries we all have including things we take for granted such as electricity. May we never forget to be thankful for such things.
I pray that we will continue to spend time with you Lord. You're always there just waiting to hear our voices. Thank you for that.