Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

I Timothy 1-3

Share, or browse through some of our members' favorite devotions and bible verses...
birdman
germinating

I Timothy 1-3

Postby birdman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 pm

It is very likely that Paul was at Colosse visiting Philemon when he wrote this first letter to
young Timothy. The letter is one of encouragement to Timothy. He was facing many difficult problems in the church. Evidently Timothy wanted to resign, and Paul's first encouragement was for him to stay and finish the task. Almost every Christian worker I know today, at one
time or another, has been tempted by the devil to quit. It is always, without exception, too soon to quit. When troubles, trials, and tribulations fall upon you and the devil seems to have the upper hand, remember that God never wants you to quit. He wants you to keep on pressing toward the goal He has set before you, and He has promised to give you help and strength to accomplish that goal. Paul gives that same encouragement to Timothy throughout this first epistle to him.

In chapters 2 and 3 Paul discusses the public ministry of the church and the different roles of church members. In chapter 2 the emphasis is placed on prayer. In verses 1-8 Paul tells Timothy the importance of prayer in the local church. He explains that prayer is a vital part of any local church. The strength of a local church is in direct proportion to its constant communion
with God through prayer. Paul exhorts us to pray.

In chapter 3 Paul writes to Timothy concerning the New Testament pastor, listing his personal qualifications (verses 2,3); family qualifications (verses 4,5); and church qualifications (verses 6,7). Then, in verses 8-13, we find the standards for the New Testament deacons. If our churches today would follow these simple instructions, they would do away with many of the problems facing them. We all too often attempt to run things our own way, without the leadership of the Holy Spirit. When this happens, our plans are doomed because, without the leadership of the Holy Spirit, nothing of lasting Value can be accomplished--either individually or on a church basis. It is time our churches came back to God and the leading of His Holy Spirit so that He can do the work He so greatly desires to do through Christians.
Serve God no matter what!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: I Timothy 1-3

Postby millipede » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Great passage. I have never studied the Bible to the extent that I should, but one of my favorite books is Timothy. Great stuff in there.

When troubles, trials, and tribulations fall upon you and the devil seems to have the upper hand, remember that God never wants you to quit.

Often times when in those trials, that's right where God wants us. That may even be where we can be most useful. The bible says to count such sufferings as joy. The disciples were beaten for their beliefs and they were happy about it.
Life is never going to be perfectly easy, but we'd be foolish to go in any direction outside the path God has planned for us. We might end up inside a whale if we're not careful :lol:

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:10 am

That really speaks to me becuase it seems like the devil is always trying to steal my joy and make me quit. I teach the kids at our church on Wednesday nights and sometimes I don't feel like I'm doing any good and alot of times I feel like just quitting! Thanks for posting a great devotion that reminds me to press on! :)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:07 pm

yeah, the devil is good at discouraging.
One thing that is important for Christians is to encourage one another. I'm so glad we're able to do that.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Devotions...”