Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

The Aim and Joy of belonging to Jesus

Share, or browse through some of our members' favorite devotions and bible verses...
dixiechick
germinating

The Aim and Joy of belonging to Jesus

Postby dixiechick » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Here's the new topic that I thought of...

Yesterday I was reading a very old topic on PYA about who was a Christian and who wasn't. One of the "Not exactly Christians" (I realize you are or you aren't, but they described themself as undecided) made it sound like the whole aim of Christians, and the whole joy of being one, was getting to Heaven. Of course that is part of it, but to me, really the joy comes from knowing Jesus IS there, He IS interceding for us, He cares about every detail of our lives, and if you want to tell Him something really silly that's getting to you, He listens without laughing, and will take care of it for you. And He does protect us from the wiles of the devil - in short, He does so much for us that our whole aim has to be to serve Him as just a little penny's worth of payment on our huge debt we owe Him. Heaven ends up being a blessed extra. :)

So, anyone have any other thoughts? I hope the above made some sense. :)

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: The Aim and Joy of belonging to Jesus

Postby millipede » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Yes that made sense... great thoughts... thanks for sharing.
I know a lot of people, Christian and non, that think quite a bit about going to heaven but very little of the joys or importance of the things that go on here and now. Even though Jesus saves us just by choosing to believe He died for us, there's a lot more work for us to do. We are to strive to be like Christ. Many Christians these days want to believe in God, believe they're going to heaven, and still do whatever they want to do. We are called to be like Christ, or at least try. He was the example of what we should strive to be.
Many people believe that there is more fun in just living in their sin knowing that God forgives them. They are missing out on things far more meaningful and fulfilling than any of the earthly pleasures they pursue.
How does this relate?
Ga 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Ga 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law

Joy... it's something we are promised that we can receive here and now. There is Great Joy in doing God's will. There is joy in serving others. There is joy in knowing He died for me so that I might live... I could go on...

Anyway... there are many people that can't wait to get to heaven... We live in troubled times. It's not always easy to find joy in life here. Things are hard sometimes. But God wants us to be happy now. He's given us everything we need to be happy now.

Anyway, I hope all that made sense. I'm sure there was more I wanted to say but it gets hard to concentrate late at night sometimes :roll:
Thanks again for sharing. God has blessed everyone of us and we shouldn't ever forget that.

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks you guys. :)

You did make sense, Millipede, and you're right....

Sometimes it is just too easy to forget the blessings God has given us. When life gets tough it's easy to think, "Why isn't God blessing me right now?" When really, through those hard times He's teaching us so much. Even when everything's going along just fine it's easy to forget. It's easy to take for granted those things we should NEVER take for granted.

Thanks again...

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:20 pm

I have to agree with you 100%! It's weird that you posted this, I've been thinking about kind of the same subject a lot lately. Just the whole joy of being alive thing (I've had these terrible mood swings from super depressed to really happy lately) We were actually talking about it (if you can imagine me and my friends doing this in our weird, energetic way) at the lunch table today, about how glad we are that God gave us the joy of being around each other and everything.

dixiechick
germinating

Postby dixiechick » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:21 pm

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this...

Another thing we have to be thankful for is the ability to be able to talk to each other about the Lord! :)

Millipede, I realize that there ARE people that looking forward to Heaven - I guess I kinda worded that wrong. It's not like I'm not glad we will have the joy of being there with Jesus and being able to see Him face to face, and being with the other chosen ones to live and reign forever in a land where everything is Glory all the time! I can understand why some people want to "get out of here" ASAP - I'm sure I would if I was a little older and wiser and more exposed to the troubles going on. I guess what I meant, though, was there IS more to the Christian life than that. The joy of knowing Jesus can make feel like I'm gonna bust sometimes. :) Like a quote I read in a book (the man who said this was Billy Bray)
"They said I was a mad man, but they meant I was a glad man. And Glory be to God, I have been glad ever since."
If anybody understood how to be glad to be a christian, he did!

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Heather, I understand what you mean... I tend to get depressed and happy, too... I have trouble sometimes feeling "moody." Lots of times I'll let little worries build up, little irritations stored inside until I get really gloomy and miserable. But really I find there's no reason to feel that way when we all have Jesus walking with us! I'll be praying for you. :)

I would have liked to been at the lunch table with you and your friends! :)

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I wrote. I knew what you were talking about and was for the most part agreeing. Anyway... Great thoughts all around...

No matter what trials life throws at us, we are all truly blessed :D

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Amen!

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:24 pm

VirginiaCowgirl wrote:Heather, I understand what you mean... I tend to get depressed and happy, too... I have trouble sometimes feeling "moody." Lots of times I'll let little worries build up, little irritations stored inside until I get really gloomy and miserable. But really I find there's no reason to feel that way when we all have Jesus walking with us! I'll be praying for you. :)

I would have liked to been at the lunch table with you and your friends! :)

I tend to let things build up too....trying to get over that. I love my friends, we're such a wonderful bunch, and accepting of everyone! You can join our lunch table any day!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 am

agreed...

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Devotions...”