Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Are you hungry?

Share, or browse through some of our members' favorite devotions and bible verses...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Are you hungry?

Postby millipede » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:33 pm

I have some interesting theories, as you might imagine :roll: but one of them involves depression and things like that, basically caused by emptiness. I believe that ALL people are empty at one time or another. Everyone is plagued at some time in their life by that emptiness. Each person chooses different ways to fill that emptiness. Some people choose to be popular... some fill their emptiness with food, some with music, some with clothing, some with friends, some with drugs and alcohol... the list goes on. We ALL fill our lives up with things so we don't feel that emptiness.
Most of these things will give them a false sense of being full. They'll think they feel happy, but people who find fullness in these things will find themselves completely broken when these things are taken from them.

There are some people that know they are empty... I think most depressed people have this awareness and just don't know what to do with it... but with them is some benefit, they usually know that the vain things many other people choose to fill their emptiness wont satisfy theirs. It can be a depressing place to be, but a good one as well. For only when we find ourselves empty and searching can we find God and totally satisfy our needs. Sometimes it requires a person to be broken in order to be filled.

I didn't mean to mention all that, but it is something I think about often and sort of ties in quite a bit with what I did want to bring up today.

Jesus was tempted by the devil. One of the things the devil tempted Jesus to do was turn a rock into some bread so that Jesus could eat and not be hungry.
Jesus replied:
Mt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

We're all hungry... quite often we find things, earthly things, to feel full. They can only satisfy for a time if that long. God wants us to be filled with all He has to offer.
I know many Christians will try to get to know God, or people at least say that's something they'd like to do. How do you get to know Him? We can get a glimpse of Him at Church... many people make it a point to pray to God every day... and I will admit that is a great thing to do... God wants us to be in constant communication with Him. But God's written word contains SO much about Him. Every story in the Bible gives you some glimpse of who He is.

Anyway... I know myself personally, when I'm feeling empty it is because I have filled my time and my life up with "things" rather than with God.

Next time you're feeling empty, open up the Bible and spend some time with God. It will be the most satisfying meal you'll ever have. :D

dixiechick
germinating

Re: Are you hungry?

Postby dixiechick » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Thank you Millipede! Thank you for sharing.... that really touched my heart, being the type of person to feel empty and depressed at times.

Sometimes I'm really depressed, just wondering about the future and the uncertainty of it. I tend to bottle my feelings up inside and get restless. But you're right, if I just spend some time with God and read my Bible my life will be full again.

Thanks again.

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks millipede...I've been feeling like that a lot lately, all the time that I don't keep myself busy to think about it anyways. Thanks :)

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:36 pm

Glad you enjoyed that. Like I said, I believe everyone has that emptiness inside of them. People just choose all sorts of things to fill it.

Along the same lines here...
People fill their lives, quite often, with things they shouldn't. And some people get to a point in their life when they realize they need to give such things up... take those things out of their lives because they know those things can't satisfy them. (somewhere I have a verse written down as to where these thoughts came from) But, if they try to cut such a thing out of their life, and the don't fill that space back up with God and good things, the devil will find his way right back in there.
I'm sure you've all heard "guard your heart". Satan wants you to feel empty and he wants you to fill that emptiness up with bad things. Spend time with God, study his word and meditate on it... Fill your life up with such things and when satan comes to tempt you, you will be fit to stand the test.

And, unlike with food, filling yourself with the Lord even beyond being full has NO adverse side affects and no weight gain.

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:36 pm

This is not a fad diet folks! ;)

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Devotions...”