Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

animal signs

questions, thoughts, and comments... anything you wish to discuss about the native wildlife in your yard. Every thing from butterflies to deer and birds and also critters you may consider pests...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

animal signs

Postby millipede » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:27 pm

uh, I wasn't exactly sure what I should title this... I'm reminded of Steve Irwin... on many shows he would find these signs that animals left behind... you know, the kind of sings that would let you know what that animal had for dinner.
This often excited him. And as odd as it may seem, I get a little excited myself sometimes depending on what left these particular signs. Ok, I'll just say droppings now. :roll:
I can identify tree frog droppings, and it's exciting in a way to see where they were hanging out the night before.
Anyway... what really made me bring this up was deer. The other day I was outside in the front yard, pulling up some grass for my animals. It's weird, I've had some areas of green grass all winter so far. it's been nice.
Anyway, while I was out there I saw a pile of deer droppings. This was about 15 feet from the house. I thought it was neat and wished that the deer had been their eating at an hour that I was awake so I could have seen it.
I like deer and this is a big part of what might fascinate me with such a "sign". But it's also interesting because SO much goes on around us in nature that we just never see. So many amazing animals doing all sorts of interesting things all around us... Sometimes it just happens while we're not looking... most of the time, we're just not looking

Anyway... anyone else ever get excited when they come across this type of animal sign? Or perhaps different animal signs?

C_B
germinating

Re: animal signs

Postby C_B » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:07 pm

You best believe i get excited! i like to follow them and see where they came from and where they go to... Im talking about foot prints...

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:59 pm

just tracks though? You don't get excited when you find an owl pellet? :lol:

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 pm

No cause i cant figure out whose poo it is... I walk by and i see poo and im like oooo rabbit poo! There like thats deer... :( So i dont get that excited about it anymore... :?

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:51 pm

:lol:
rabbit droppings are a LOT like deer droppings. One obvious difference is how much you'll see in one place though. If it's a pile of it, it's from a deer. If you just saw one or two, or just a few then it could very well be from a rabbit.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:02 pm

I can't say that I get "excited" by seeing animal droppings :lol: but it's interesting to try and figure out what left them LOL. I had no idea that rabbit and deer droppings looked alike! There's been several times I've seen small piles of what I thought was rabbit droppings, but they probably were deer all along!! :roll: :lol:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Maybe when I go outside tomorrow I'll get a picture of some. :lol:
But yeah, it is similar.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:30 pm

Haha! ill be looking forward to it milli! i wish we lived out in the wood so i could get some pictures... :(

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:04 pm

you wanted pictures of the deer droppings right?
not a great picture, but you can see that the droppings are small like a rabbits.

here's a closer look. Don't click it if you're grossed out easily.
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3683/deerdroptr2.jpg

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Haha for some reason i thought they would be much lighter... Intresting pictures!

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Wildlife...”